Topic author
colin y

Grass, 4G & 3G

05 May 2016, 18:56

I'm still not convinced about artificial pitches. Grass, if properly maintained is still far & away superior. But "properly maintained" is the key.
It'd be interesting to hear from fans of Boreham Wood FC & Arsenal Ladies. After a standard seasons (heavy) use (their various age teams & tenants), Arsenal Ladies use it for the WSL, a summer season. Recovery & (summer) growth must be an issue, though as a non-gardener, I'm not a great expert.
4G is much better than 3G. I should think the installation & maintenance costs are higher too.
3G seems to be being touted around as a bit of a saviour to non-league clubs. I'm very dubious about this. How much is commercial expediency (A polite cover for capitalist arse-covering, bribery & corruption) a factor in all of this when even on the capitalist manufacturers own terms a newer, next generation product already exists (4G)?
Another major factor is injuries caused or exaserbated by these pitches. Particularly to young players especially to young & not so young female players (Well documented & discussed by FIFPRO, FA, WSL, & other international football bodies sports phisios & She Kicks magazine etc).
There's also a big & involved discussion about the environmental effect of artificial pitches to be had & considered.
Despite all my sniggering & doubt, maybe there is something to Vince's Australian grass after all.
I don't always take my cue from that "troubled genius", Bernd Shuster, who was asked for his take on artificial pitches before the launch of the North American Soccer League (NASL) but the dubious attitude is one I can't argue with .When asked whether he preferred grass or Astroturf (tm) he replied "I've never smoked Astroturf".

Return to “Non-League football”